What are the first things that come to mind when someone mentions Gainesville?
Is it game day weekends in the Swamp, when entire streets are shut down and there is nothing but a sea of orange and blue surrounding Ben Hill Griffin Stadium? Maybe it is the vibrant and diverse student body. Undergraduates and graduate students of many nationalities and backgrounds flock to the university for its prestigious academic programs. Or maybe you just think of the somewhat rural area where a major state university is located.
The unexplored, less traveled parts of this city are what interest me. That is why I started this blog. Most of us are here for four years, and never take the time to reach out of our comfort zone and tap into all the things Gainesville has to offer. It has taken me until my third year here to really understand this concept. I was so preoccupied with getting to class on time, joining every activity I could, and maintaining some sort of social life, that I didn't really stop to think about what my home away from home has to offer.
Perhaps it is because my major affords me the opportunity to explore outside of a classroom setting that I have become interested in all Gainesville has to offer. As a third-year Telecommunications News major, I am constantly out hunting down local news stories. I always want to find the untold tales, the pieces that can really connect to viewers. Or perhaps I have always had a natural curiosity for my surroundings, and want to finally slow down and take the road less traveled. Either way, this blog is home to my adventures, my wanderings, and the great places and stories I discover during the remainder of my time in this fascinating place called Gainesville.


No comments:
Post a Comment